1) General Surgery Department, Mansoura Faculty of Medicine, Mansoura University, Egypt.
Disclosure: The author has declared no conflicts of interest.
Received: 14.07.16 Accepted: 04.08.16
Performing hemorrhoidectomy with LigaSure™ vessel sealing system is a rapid and simple new technique. The aim of this study was to evaluate LigaSure™ hemorrhoidectomy (LH) to open hemorrhoidectomy (OH) performed by the conventional diathermy.
Patients and methods
One hundred and sixteen patients with grades III and IV hemorrhoids were prospectively randomized to either LigaSure™ or open conventional diathermy hemorrhoidectomy. Primary end point was postoperative pain. Secondary end points were operative time, blood loss, complications, need for analgesics and time to achieve complete wound healing.
The LigaSure™ group achieved a significant reduction in operative time, blood loss, first postoperative day pain score, seventh day pain score and overall pain score. Patients in the LigaSure™ group required less pethidine analgesia on the first postoperative day. Time to achieve complete wound healing were shorter in the LigaSure™ group. There was no difference in postoperative complications.
LigaSure hemorrhoidectomy provides a valid alternative to conventional hemorrhoidectomy. Based on our results, further studies addressing long-term functional results are needed to prove that LigaSure™ hemorrhoidectomy is the ideal method of hemorrhoidectomy for the patients.
Keywords: Hemorrhoids, LigaSure TM, Hemorrhoidectomy, Milligan-Morgan
How to Cite this Article
Ghnnam, W. (2017). PROSPECTIVE, RANDOMIZED CONTROLLED TRIAL OF LIGASURETM VERSUS CONVENTIONAL HEMORRHOIDECTOMY FOR GRADE III AND IV HEMORRHOIDS. International Journal of Surgery and Medicine, [online] 3(1). Available at: http://10.5455/ijsm.hemorrhoids-ligasure [Accessed 18 Mar. 2017].
Latest from Super User
- A Comparative Study of Risk Stratifications Scores for Acute Heart Failure Patients in the Emergency Department, Egypt
- PHYLLODES TUMOR OF THE BREAST : A CLINICOPATHOLOGICAL ANALYSIS FROM A SINGLE INSTITUTION
- SMALL-CELL NEUROENDOCRINE CARCINOMA OF NASOPHARYNX: A CASE REPORT
- PREDICTIVE VALUE OF SIMPLE BIOMARKERS OF MORTALITY IN PATIENTS WITH SEVERE HEART FAILURE IN EMERGENCY DEPARTMENT IN SUEZ CANAL UNIVERSITY HOSPITAL IN ISMAILIA
- AWAKE VIDEOTHORACOSCOPIC RESECTION WITH THE HELP OF THORACAL PARAVERTEBRAL BLOCK: TWO CASE REPORT AND REVIEW OF LITERATURE