Deniz Gokalp1, Alpaslan Tuzcu2, Ster Irmak3, Mithat Bahceci4, Ozlem Demirpence5
1) Acibadem University School of Medicine, Turkey.
2) Dicle University School of Medicine, Department of Endocrinology, Turkey.
3) Istanbul Bilgi University School of Health Sciences, Department of Nutrition and Dietetics, Turkey.
4) Izmir Kent Hospital, Department of Endocrinology, Turkey.
5) Dicle University School of Medicine, Department of Biochemistry, Turkey.
Disclosure: The author has declared no conflicts of interest.
Received: 20.05.16 Accepted: 08.07.16
Objectives: In the present study, we aimed to determine the prevalence of aspirin resistance in patients with Type 1 and 2 diabetes and to study its association with metabolic parameters.
Methods: Aspirin resistance of patients (n=158) with Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus (DM) who presented to the center after 7 days of regular aspirin use were compared to age-mathced (55±19) healthy controls (n=164). Similarly, aspirin resistance of patients (n=30) diagnosed with Type 1 DM were compared to age-matched (27±7) healthy subjects (n=41) as the control group. Platelet Function Analyzer (PFA)-100 was used to evaluate the efficacy of aspirin.
Results: Aspirin resistance was identified in 72 of 158 patients with Type 2 DM (45.6%) and in 47 of 164 healthy controls (28.6%) (p=0.001). Aspirin resistance had a prevalence of 50% in patients with Type 1 DM and was significantly higher compared to the control group of 41 healthy subjects (12.2%) (p=0.001). No correlations were noted between aspirin resistance and sex, smoking, HbA1c, hypertension and aspirin dose. There was a significant relation between aspirin resistance and LDL-cholesterol in patients with Type 2 DM (p=0.020).
Conclusion: Patients with Type 1 and Type 2 DM had a higher frequency of aspirin resistance than the control group. Therefore, treatment choices including administering higher doses of aspirin or using other antiplatelet agents such as clopidogrel should be considered to prevent thrombocytic events in diabetes mellitus.
Abstract & Fulltext
Latest from Super User
- FREE SUBMISSION TO THE SPECIAL EDITION "BREAST DISEASES"
- EVALUATION OF NUTRITIONAL STATUS IN HEMODIALYSIS PATIENTS
- A Comparative Study of Risk Stratifications Scores for Acute Heart Failure Patients in the Emergency Department, Egypt
- PHYLLODES TUMOR OF THE BREAST : A CLINICOPATHOLOGICAL ANALYSIS FROM A SINGLE INSTITUTION
- SMALL-CELL NEUROENDOCRINE CARCINOMA OF NASOPHARYNX: A CASE REPORT