Cystic neoplasms of the pancreas are a special heterogeneous group of pancreatic tumors with variable clinical and diagnostic characteristics.
Its incidence has dramatically increased in recent years due to technological improvements in cross-sectional imaging methods, rising in awareness of their existence, and increased in human life-spam.
Aim: To evaluate the clinical, radiological, and surgical characteristics of pancreatic cystic neoplasm.
Methods: The clinical findings, diagnostic features, therapeutic managements, and oncological outcomes of 16 patients with pancreatic cystic neoplasm were retrospectively evaluated.
PANCREATOGASTROSTOMY WITH ONE CONTINUOUS SEROMUSCULAR CIRCULAR SUTURE
Results: There were nine female and seven male patients, with a mean age of 54 years. More than half of the patients (56.3%) were asymptomatic. Abdominal pain and icterus were the most common symptom and sign, respectively. Computed tomography and magnetic resonance imaging showed the cystic lesion in all patients. Magnetic resonance imaging revealed a connection between cystic tumor with pancreatic duct in 8 (50%) cases. Pancreaticoduodenectomy was the most performed operation. Pancreatic adenocarcinoma with cystic degeneration and solid pseudopapillary neoplasia were the most frequent diagnoses at the final histopathology. Pancreatic fistula was developed in one case. One patient died during the postoperative period. Two patients who had adenocarcinoma developed recurrence during the follow-up period.
Conclusion: The discrimination of pancreatic cystic neoplasms is usually difficult preoperatively. Therefore, the structure and the localization of the lesion, and the involvement of pancreatic ductal system should be clearly demonstrated by imaging modalities for a correct surgical planning.
1) Department of General Surgery, Numune Training and Research Hospital, Ankara, Turkey.
Disclosure: The author has declared no conflicts of interest.
Received: 14.01.16 Accepted: 30.01.16
1. Spinelli KS, Fromwiller TE, Daniel RA, Kiely JM, Nakeeb A, Komorowski RA, et al. Cystic pancreatic neoplasms: observe or operate. Ann Surg 2004; 239:651-657. https://doi.org/10.1097/01.sla.0000124299.57430.ce [Pubmed] [PMC Free Fulltext]
2. Brugge WR. Diagnosis and management of cystic lesions of the pancreas. Gastrointest Oncol 2015; 6:375-388.
3. Bosman FT. World Health Organization. The international agency for research on cancer. WHO classification of tumors of the digestive system. In: Carneiro F, Hruban RH, Theise ND, editors. 4th ed. Vol. 3. Lyon: IARC Press; 2010. p. 417.
4. Adsay NV. Cystic lesions of the pancreas. Mod Pathol 2007; 20:71-93. https://doi.org/10.1038/modpathol.3800706 [Pubmed]
5. Clores MJ, Thosani A, Buscaglia JM. Multidisciplinary diagnostic and therapeutic approaches to pancreatic cystic lesions. J Multidiscip Healthc 2014; 7:81-91. [Pubmed] [PMC Free Fulltext]
6. Yoon WJ, Brugge WR. Pancreatic cystic neoplasms: diagnosis and management. Gastroenterol Clin North Am 2012; 41:103-118. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.gtc.2011.12.016 [Pubmed]
7. Farrell JJ, FernÃ¡ndez-del Castillo C. Pancreatic cystic neoplasms: management and unanswered questions. Gastroenterology 2013; 144: 1303-1315. https://doi.org/10.1053/j.gastro.2013.01.073 [Pubmed]
8. OlÃ¡h A, KollÃ¡r D. Surgical aspects of intraductal papillary mucinous neoplasms of the pancreas. Chirurgia 2015; 110:413-417.
9. Aghdassi A, Mayerle J, Kraft M, SielenkÃ¤mper AW, Heidecke CD, Lerch MM. Diagnosis and treatment of pancreatic pseudocysts in chronic pancreatitis. Pancreas 2008; 36:105-112. https://doi.org/10.1097/MPA.0b013e31815a8887 [Pubmed]
10. Habashi S, Draganov PV. Pancreatic pseudocyst. World J Gastroenterol 2009; 15:38-47. https://doi.org/10.3748/wjg.15.38 [Pubmed] [PMC Free Fulltext]
11. Brun A, Agarwal N, Pitchumoni CS. Fluid collections in and around the pancreas in acute pancreatitis. J Clin Gastroenterol 2011; 45:614-625. https://doi.org/10.1097/MCG.0b013e318213ef3e [Pubmed]
12. Casteill F, Basetti D, Negrelli R, Di Paola V, Zantedeschi L, Ventriglia A, et al. Multifocal branch-duct intraductal papillary mucinous neoplasms (IPMNs) of the pancreas: Magnetic resonance (MR) imaging pattern and evolution over time. Radiol Med 2013; 118:917-929. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11547-013-0945-8 [Pubmed]
13. Larghi A, Panic N, Capurso G, Leoncini E, Arzani D, Salvia R, et al. Prevalence and risk factors of extrapancreatic malignancies in large cohort of patients with intraductal papillary mucinous neoplasms (IPMN) of the pancreas. Ann Oncol 2013; 24:1907-1911. https://doi.org/10.1093/annonc/mdt184 [Pubmed]
14. Goh BK. International guidelines for the management of pancreatic intraductal papillary mucinous neoplasms. World J Gastroenterol 2015; 21:9833-9837. https://doi.org/10.3748/wjg.v21.i34.9833 [Pubmed] [PMC Free Fulltext]
15. Waters JA, Schmidt CM, Pinchot JW, White PB, Cummings OW, Pitt HA, et al. CT vs. MRCP: optimal classification of IPMN type and extent. J Gastrointest Surg. 2008; 12:101-109. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11605-007-0367-9 [Pubmed]
16. Tanaka M, Fernandez-del Castillo C, Adsay V, Chari S, Falconi M, Jang JY, et al. International consensus guidelines 2012 for the management of IPMN and MCN of the pancreas. Pancreatology 2012; 12:183-197. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pan.2012.04.004 [Pubmed]
17. Al-Haddad M. Role of emerging molecular markers in pancreatic cyst fluid. Endosc Ultrasound 2015; 4: 276-283. https://doi.org/10.4103/2303-9027.170402 [Pubmed] [PMC Free Fulltext]
18. Adsay NV, Conlon KC, Zee SY, Brennan MF, Klimstra DS. Intraductal papillary-mucinous neoplasms of the pancreas: an analysis of in situ and invasive carcinomas in 28 patients. Cancer 2002; 94:62-77. https://doi.org/10.1002/cncr.10203 [Pubmed]
19. Valsangkar NP, Morales-Oyarvide V, Thayer SP, Ferrone CR, Wargo JA, Warshaw AL, et al. 851 resected cystic tumors of the pancreas: a 33-year experience at the Massachusetts General Hospital. Surgery 2012; 152:4-12. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.surg.2012.05.033 [Pubmed] [PMC Free Fulltext]
20. Michalik M, Bobowicz M, Lech P, OrÃ…,owskie M. Distal pancreatic resection via laparo-endoscopic single site surgery â€“ development of the technique. Videosurgery Miniinv 2010; 5: 142-145. https://doi.org/10.5114/wiitm.2010.18827
21. Testini M, Gurrado A, Lissidini G, Venezia P, Greco L, Piccinni G. Management of mucinous cystic neoplasms of the pancreas. World J Gastroenterol 2010; 16: 5682-5692. https://doi.org/10.3748/wjg.v16.i45.5682 [Pubmed] [PMC Free Fulltext]
How to Cite this Article
Citations, Quotes & Annotations
Latest from Super User
- FREE SUBMISSION TO THE SPECIAL EDITION "BREAST DISEASES"
- EVALUATION OF NUTRITIONAL STATUS IN HEMODIALYSIS PATIENTS
- A Comparative Study of Risk Stratifications Scores for Acute Heart Failure Patients in the Emergency Department, Egypt
- PHYLLODES TUMOR OF THE BREAST : A CLINICOPATHOLOGICAL ANALYSIS FROM A SINGLE INSTITUTION
- SMALL-CELL NEUROENDOCRINE CARCINOMA OF NASOPHARYNX: A CASE REPORT