Malnutrition is a common problem among hemodialysis patients.
This factor leads to increased morbidity and mortality. This study evaluates the nutritional status of patients on dialysis and analyses the various parameters used for assessing malnutrition.
It is a cross-sectional study of 35 patients aged 18 years and up who have undergone dialysis three days a week for more than a year. The following were analysed: overall subjective assessment technique, Body Mass Index, anthropometric data and biological parameters (serum albumin, serum cholesterol, rate of alkaline reserves and C-reactive protein levels) with a dietary three-day survey. Analysis of food survey data was performed using the software Bilnut. The patients’ average age was 46.7 years with a sex ratio of 1.18. Average waist size was 92.7±16.68 cm. Average arm circumference was 27.2±5.6 cm and average calf circumference was 32.03±5.87 cm. Malnutrition was found in 48% of cases according to SGA. Average BMI was 24.4 kg/m2. It was less than 23 Kg/m2 in 48% of cases.
CALCIUM AND VITAMIN D STATUS IN MORBIDLY OBESE PATIENTS AND IN PATIENTS AFTER BILIOPANCRETIC DIVERSION/DUODENAL SWITCH
Average serum albumin concentration was 33.6 g/l and average CRP level was 6.16 mg/l.
The average energy intake (Kcal/Kg/day) was 30.87±11.92 the day of dialysis, 27.98±9.31 on a resting day and 29.93±9.42 on another day and the average protein intake (g/kg/day) was 1.02±0.44 the day of dialysis, 0.94±0.36 a resting day and 1.04±0.36 on the other day. Malnutrition was frequent among our patients. The assessment of nutritional status in patients on dialysis requires simultaneous combination of several clinical, biologic and dietetic markers. Dietary management is mainly based on food survey regularly established.
Authors: Amel Harzallah, Hayet Kaaroud, Fethi El Younsi, Fethi Ben Hamida, Taieb Ben Abdallah.
Disclosure: The author has declared no conflicts of interest.
Latest from Super User
- FREE SUBMISSION TO THE SPECIAL EDITION "BREAST DISEASES"
- A Comparative Study of Risk Stratifications Scores for Acute Heart Failure Patients in the Emergency Department, Egypt
- PHYLLODES TUMOR OF THE BREAST : A CLINICOPATHOLOGICAL ANALYSIS FROM A SINGLE INSTITUTION
- SMALL-CELL NEUROENDOCRINE CARCINOMA OF NASOPHARYNX: A CASE REPORT
- PREDICTIVE VALUE OF SIMPLE BIOMARKERS OF MORTALITY IN PATIENTS WITH SEVERE HEART FAILURE IN EMERGENCY DEPARTMENT IN SUEZ CANAL UNIVERSITY HOSPITAL IN ISMAILIA