Atif Naeem1, Azher Mushtaq1, Mir Mujtaba Ahmad1
1) Department of Surgery, SMHS Hospital; Govt. Medical College, Srinagar, Jammu, and Kashmir, India.
Disclosure: The author has declared no conflicts of interest.
Received: 11.04.15 Accepted: 22.04.15
Paraduodenal hernia, a rare congenital anomaly which arises from an error of rotation of the midgut, is the most common type of intra-abdominal hernia. There are two variants, right and left paraduodenal hernia, the right being less common. We report the case of a 41-year-old patient with a right paraduodenal hernia who presented with 2 days history of continuous pain abdomen with multiple episodes of vomiting. Patient was decided to undergo laparotomy in view of Increasing abdominal pain and development of peritonitis. In a planned laparotomy, herniation of the small bowel loops through the fossa of Waldeyer, behind the ascending mesocolon was found which was gangrenous with prolapse of a few gangrenous loops into the peritoneal cavity. Gangrenous bowel was resected and an end to end jejuno ileostomy was performed.
Keywords: Paraduodenal hernia, Internal hernia, Intestinal obstruction
1. Desjardins AU. Left paraduodenal hernia. Ann Surg. 1918;67:195-201. [DOI via Crossref] [Pubmed] [PMC Free Fulltext]
2. Zimmerman LM, Laufman H. Intraabdominal hernias due to developmental and rotational anomalies. Ann Surg. 1953;138:82-91. [DOI via Crossref]
3. Khan MA, Lo AY, Vande Maele DM. Paraduodenal hernia. Am Surg. 1998;64:1218-1222. [Pubmed]
4. Kurachi K, Nakamura T, Hayashi T, Asai Y, Kashiwabara T, Nakajima A, Suzuki S, Konno H. Left paraduodenal hernia in an adult complicated by ascending colon cancer: a case report. World J Gastroenterol. 2006;12:1795-1797. [Pubmed] [PMC Free Fulltext]
5. R. Zissin, M. Hertz, G. Gayer, H. Paran, A. Osadch; Congenital internal hernia as a cause of small bowel obstruction: CT findings in 11 adult patients. British Journal of Radiology, 78 (933) (2005), pp. 796-802 [DOI via Crossref] [Pubmed]
6. Martin LC, Merkle EM, Thompson WM. Review of internal hernias: radiographic and clinical findings. AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2006;186:703-717. [DOI via Crossref] [Pubmed]
7. McDonagh T, Jelinek GA. Two cases of paraduodenal hernia, a rare internal hernia. J Accid Emerg Med. 1996;13:64-68. [DOI via Crossref] [Pubmed] [PMC Free Fulltext]
8. Tong RSK, Sengupta S, Tjandra JJ. Left paraduodenal hernia: a case report and review of the literature. ANZ J Surg. 2002;72:69-71. [DOI via Crossref] [Pubmed]
How to Cite this Article
Citations, Quotes & Annotations
1. Muneer, Hamza, et al. "Left Paraduodenal Hernia." Bahrain Medical Bulletin 39.4 (2017).
- SMALL-CELL NEUROENDOCRINE CARCINOMA OF NASOPHARYNX: A CASE REPORT
- A COMMON PATHOLOGY, A RARE CAUSE – A CASE REPORT OF CANDIDIAL GASTRIC PERFORATION
- BRAIN METASTASIS FROM UTERINE MALIGNANCIES: TREATMENT MODALITIES AND PROGNOSTIC FACTORS
- AGGRESSIVE MULTIPLE MYELOMA IN A YOUNG ADULT: A CASE REPORT
- LITTLE OLD LADY’S HERNIA SURGEONS CHALLENGE