1) Department of Medical Oncology, National Institute of Oncology, Rabat, Morocco.
2) Department of Radiotherapy, National Institute of Oncology, Rabat, Morocco.
3) Department of Biology, Military Hospital Mohamed V, Rabat, Morocco.
Disclosure: The author has declared no conflicts of interest.
Received: 30.05.16 Accepted: 16.07.16
Extra pulmonary small cell carcinomas are extremely rare, accounting for 0.1-0.4% of all malignancies and 2.5-4% of small cell carcinomas. In the head and neck region, the most common primary sites are the larynx, salivary gland, nasal cavity, paranasal sinus, tonsil, and oral cavity. Small cell carcinomas occurring in nasopharynx are extremely rare, to our best knowledge, only four cases of primary nasopharyngeal small cell carcinoma has been described in English literature.
We report another case of nasopharyngeal small cell carcinoma arising in a 46-year-old woman. She accused, for five months, nasal blockage, right hypoacousia, exophthalmos and reduced visual acuity. Cerebral and facial magnetic resonance imaging showed an extensive mass of the nasopharynx with the invasion of sphenoidal body, the diagnosis of disseminated small cell carcinoma of nasopahrynx was established. The patient received three courses of systemic chemotherapy; unfortunately, she died after the third course. The prognosis of such entity is poor and is similar to that for patients with extensive small cell lung cancer.
Keywords: nasopharynx, small-cell carcinoma, prognosis
How to Cite this ArticleBellahammou, K. et al., 2017. SMALL-CELL NEUROENDOCRINE CARCINOMA OF NASOPHARYNX: A CASE REPORT. International Journal of Surgery and Medicine, 3(1), p.1. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.5455/ijsm.nasopharynx-carcinoma
- BRAIN METASTASIS FROM UTERINE MALIGNANCIES: TREATMENT MODALITIES AND PROGNOSTIC FACTORS
- AGGRESSIVE MULTIPLE MYELOMA IN A YOUNG ADULT: A CASE REPORT
- LITTLE OLD LADY’S HERNIA SURGEONS CHALLENGE
- NEUROBLASTOMA IN AN ADULT: A CASE REPORT OF A RARE ENTITY WITH A SUMMARY REVIEW
- UNUSUAL FOREIGN BODY IN THE LEFT MAIN BRONCHUS
Latest from Super User
- A Comparative Study of Risk Stratifications Scores for Acute Heart Failure Patients in the Emergency Department, Egypt
- PHYLLODES TUMOR OF THE BREAST : A CLINICOPATHOLOGICAL ANALYSIS FROM A SINGLE INSTITUTION
- PREDICTIVE VALUE OF SIMPLE BIOMARKERS OF MORTALITY IN PATIENTS WITH SEVERE HEART FAILURE IN EMERGENCY DEPARTMENT IN SUEZ CANAL UNIVERSITY HOSPITAL IN ISMAILIA
- AWAKE VIDEOTHORACOSCOPIC RESECTION WITH THE HELP OF THORACAL PARAVERTEBRAL BLOCK: TWO CASE REPORT AND REVIEW OF LITERATURE
- ISOLATED BLADDER RUPTURE IN AN ELDERLY PATIENT AFTER BLUNT TRAUMA. CASE REPORT AND REVIEW